"A promise lives within you now" (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
For the past couple of weeks I have been drawn to repeatedly listen to the song by Enya "May It Be." As background, this song was written specifically for the first movie in the Lord of The Rings series, The Fellowship of the Ring (search May It Be and find the wikipedia page for info on how it came about). I've been listening to it about 10 times/day it seems.

I like the song and Enya's voice is magical for me, but it makes me wonder why so much repeated listening and why now. This is not concerning to me in any way, more of a "what's up with that" interesting occurrence. Unsurprisingly (ha ;)), I have some thoughts about this. But first let me set the stage.

Here are the lyrics:

"May It Be"
May it be an evening star
Shines down upon you
May it be when darkness falls
Your heart will be true
You walk a lonely road
Oh! How far you are from home

Mornie utulie (Darkness has come)
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie (Darkness has fallen)
A promise lives within you now

May it be the shadow's call
Will fly away
May it be you journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun

Mornie utulie (Darkness has come)
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie (Darkness has fallen)
A promise lives within you now
The whole LOTR trilogy of movies is, at least for me, a huge symbolic message to help remind us all of what is coming and that, although we will be challenged and sacrifices will be required, in the end the light perseveres and triumphs over the dark. Recall that this series of movies was embraced world wide...I think because of the message it brings. The heart and actions of the hobbits (the little people) lead the world away from darkness and banish it. People sense this and deep in their soul know it is the way...although walking through the challenges are very scary and so we resist out of fear. The general populace is not ready to take on the role of Frodo. They support the cause and the outcome but are understandably scared of the journey to get there. They respond in earnest when they realize that taking the journey collectively is the only way to the light...it's what helps them screw their courage up enough to move from bitching to acting.

So I feel the reason I am so drawn to repeatedly listening to May It Be is because it is reminding me of what needs to happen and to have trust that it will work out even though the path is unclear and the occurrences along the path uncertain.

Recall that the first movie (FOTR) was released in 2001. Dark force were strong on earth then. As we move forward to the second movie, The Two Towers, we see new characters introduced. An interesting one is Theoden, King of Rohan. At the beginning we see him as a disgusting, nearly crippled individual who leaches despair and hate. Until he is healed and then takes his kingly duties serious and leads his people once again. The scene where he leads the Rohan over the crest of a huge hill and descends into the orc hoard on the morning of the 5th day is the climax of the 2nd movie as the Rohan save those trapped in the old fortress.

Theoden continues into the third movie, Return of the King. When the fires are lit and the call for assistance given Theoden leads the Rohan into battle and breaks the siege at Minas Tirith and causes the witch king to be killed, but at the cost of his life. He goes to meet his ancestors proud of what he had done.

Sorry for the long setup. So here is a perspective to consider. Is Trump a reflection of the symbology of Theoden? While he has a big ego (likely a natural attribute in order to be king) and has been way less than inclusive of those outside his tribe, he does wake up to his true purpose. Trumps role is to attack the dark forces of our world and cause the witch king equivalents to be slain. He doesn't survive but does get the job done so the other forces of light can be successful in winning the war.

But back to the song and the key line: "A promise lives within you now." I feel this is for all of us. We all hold the promise. We must screw up our courage and get through this to banish the dark for good. We all have individual roles to play. It's us "hobbits," the little people, that eventually bring victory, not those who have been in power and allegedly our leaders. Was Trump's inaugural speech resolute notice to the dark forces that we the people are coming for them?

So enjoy this clip of May It Be:

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
GREAT post, Bill!!

I find your analysis and comparison of the new President to Théoden very, very interesting! I don't recall the movie, but the way you describe it, Théoden's fate seems eerily similar to Jack Kennedy...and some of the Presidential Inauguration photos from yesterday struck a similar chord with me (where Milania Trump was said to have "channeled" Jacqueline Kennedy at Kennedy's Inauguration because of her outfit choice).

I certainly hope our new President doesn't meet the same fate as Théoden and President Kennedy, but there certainly seem to be some intriguing parallels...

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Bill, I've been thinking about your post today. I believe the books were written in the late 1930s and early 40s when a few people were waking up to how the world works. There was a resurgence in popularity in the late 1960s and early 70s, which coincided with the hippie era and an awakening to the bigger picture. (I know I have copies of the books around here somewhere.) Finally, we have the movies in recent years, which have an enormous following.

I think one of the books starts with something like a "time between fairies and men". I think now we are at the other end of the cycle and are at a time between people and fairies. I don't know if Trump is aware of a greater purpose, but I do believe he is shaking things up. I was curious who would perform at the balls since so many "names" bowed out. I was absolutely delighted to see some interesting and not well-known people perform. I saw the same thing with the dresses and gowns. Some designers refused to part of it, but the end result was that others had a time to shine.

OP
Bill

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
..... There was a resurgence in popularity in the late 1960s and early 70s, which coincided with the hippie era and an awakening to the bigger picture.

I think one of the books starts with something like a "time between fairies and men". I think now we are at the other end of the cycle and are at a time between people and fairies. I don't know if Trump is aware of a greater purpose, but I do believe he is shaking things up.
Linda I read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy when I was in high school back in the early '70s. I was a big reader back then and these books just mesmerized me. I now find it as "of course" I found my way to them and read them....early seed planting of the symbology that would arise later in life when I awoke and was able to connect the dots between the story and what is happening in the (ahem!) real world of 3D.

I agree with your comment on being at the other end of the cycle and that we may well be moving into a part of the cycle where people remember that they can communicate easily with the world of fairies. When I look back on it I see the loving hand of Source at work. Plant the seed in the mind of JRRR Tolkien and he produces a whole world that helps reveal to us what is happening and include within that story the classic hero's journey. And then in our time Peter Jackson is called to produce a series of movies that conveys that story, and the symbolic messages within it, to a wide global audience who is hungry for the message. Coincidence? Ha! To meet it is a training film for humanity to help us awaken and seize our power and bring love and light back into the world (with the Shire serving as an example of the kind of world we can have).

And I don't think Source bet the ranch on just the LOTR movies. It is but one thread in a beautiful tapestry woven to show us the picture of what we can be.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm thinking I'm agreeing with you Bill. I too read all the books in high school, (early 70's as well) I vaguely remember the books but I do remember the heroics if the story line. The parallels to today are stunning. Rather then an epic battle field war, it was fought in the hearts, minds and spirits of all the warriors on the planet. Seemingly under the radar of the sleeping populace. Who are just catching up with whats been going on. Seems to me this election is the turning point to avoid a major war and move on in peace to build our new and just society. I think people in general just turned the corner. It took a Hillary and a collective decision to say enough is enough to move on. All the divine energies pummeling the planet are paying off in spades in waking the rest of them....one can go on and on but you guys can see what I'm going on about. kKeep your guards up a little longer because as Yogi says "It ain't over till it's over"

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The parallels to today are stunning. Rather then an epic battle field war, it was fought in the hearts, minds and spirits of all the warriors on the planet. Seemingly under the radar of the sleeping populace. Who are just catching up with whats been going on. Seems to me this election is the turning point to avoid a major war and move on in peace to build our new and just society. I think people in general just turned the corner.
You all might want to read about my dream this morning that I posted on the Dream Board. I can see that it pertains to what we are talking about here. What it showed me was the level of chaos that some experience when cut off from their old leaders / controllers. There will be lots of work to do to help people learn to think for themselves, but the end result will be worth it.

Each spring, my Grandmother did a "square clean". That's when you clean every square inch of the house. For a time, the house is in disarray and chaos as everything is moved, but when you are finished, everything is in place and sparkles and shines. I think we are in for a similar situation here as people become more aware.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
You all might want to read about my dream this morning that I posted on the Dream Board. I can see that it pertains to what we are talking about here. What it showed me was the level of chaos that some experience when cut off from their old leaders / controllers. There will be lots of work to do to help people learn to think for themselves, but the end result will be worth it.

Each spring, my Grandmother did a "square clean". That's when you clean every square inch of the house. For a time, the house is in disarray and chaos as everything is moved, but when you are finished, everything is in place and sparkles and shines. I think we are in for a similar situation here as people become more aware.
Just posted a reply to your dream and then read this. Hey ho, I'm such a wally, ignore me. :)|

Reactions: Stargazer

Kristiina

Involved Wayfarer
Sep 17, 2016
Helsinki, Finland
The conversations in this place are JUST AMAZING!!!!!!!

I love you guys and gals...

<3 <3 <3
Me too <3 !

Thank you Bill for your insightful and beautiful post. "Let it be" by Anya is the most moving song in Lord of the Rings, it manages to catch the spirit of the whole trilogy - a rise of the mankind from darkness to light. There are so many levels in this trilogy, did you know that Tolkien wrote it during the 2nd world war? I also was a huge fan of Tolkien when books were published and studied Silmarillion too, where he basically describe the whole history from the birth of Ea (all that is) to the later events of middle earth. Somehow he managed to catch the idea of multidimensional universum and I have wondered many times how did he write it? The information is so wide and full of details, like chronicle of history. I have a science fiction writer friend and he says that when he starts to write, he just starts to remembering...

I remember when these movies came out, I took all my three kids to the movies even they were hardly old enough to the age limit, haha. Later they all read the books and loved them too.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Thanks, Bill! I love that song and it truely holds a message.

Reactions: Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Bill, thanks for this post!<3
...and for reminding me of the beauty of the songs that go with the series. I've found them very difficult to find piano music for:-D
I also love the posts it generated<3<3

Like Bill and Pucksterguy, the Lord of the Ring books helped form and resonated really closely with my early inner landscape. In my case, so much so that I have spent time feeling almost as if I was one character, then another, and another. There is something truly magical about the books, characters and story. I have always been a 'the book always seems better than the movie' person as the book provides so much more imagination-fodder, plus the imagination is so much more capable than the camera. However, in the case of The Fellowship of the Ring, I saw, for the first time, why someone might bother to make a movie from a book, as that was the first time that a movie came very close to matching the intricacy of my imagination.

A lot of folks had said the same thing about the technology that made the first Star Wars movie come alive for them, but that movie didn't affect me that way. In fact, it wasn't until I saw the most recent Star Wars movie, Rogue One, the one in which all the lead characters are killed in a heroic collective deed, that the Star Wars movies even made sense to me. Now I am actually interested in perhaps reading the books, for the first time.

If anybody is interested in another book series that I found very compelling in a similar way, it is Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series. What I've read of her other series was also rip-roaring fun:)

Love to all us who love a good story<3<3<3

Reactions: Bill and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)